Pages

Saturday, September 24, 2016

Getting a Little Spooky with Tim ... Holtz 12 Tags of 2016 -- September

Hi everyone!  I'm back this weekend with my take on Tim Holtz's September Tag for 2016.  Tim has been doing a Remix series this year where does a "mash up" of two different crafting techniques.  This month's techniques are Paint Petina (for the tag background) and Alcohol Ink Resist (for the focal image).  I absolutely love Tim's Evolution stamp that he used for his tag, but I just purchased some of his great Halloween items (Batground Layering Stencil, word bands, Gothic Remnant Rubs, etc).  So I ended up with a Halloween-themed September tag.


I pretty much followed Tim's techniques with the exception of using some of his ric rac trim instead of sewing.  I also used a little tip he mentioned in one of the Creative Chemistry courses (can't remember which one) on how to use Ranger Ink's Cut and Dry Foam to get the reverse image of a stamp.  I found a You Tube video from The Gentleman Crafter (Ranger U grad) on this Cut & Dry Foam Reverse Stamp technique .  Check it out if you are interested.   Anyway, I used this reverse stamp technique on the skull stamp from Tim Holtz's Apothecary set.  This foam stamp created the focal image used in the alcohol ink resist technique.


I used Black Soot Archival Ink on a script stamp from one of Tim's Halloween stamp/stencil sets (one of my new purchases form Michaels this fall) to get the script image on the skull.   Notice how I used the resist technique on the right part of the script stamped image that went into the alcohol ink background.  So cool!!  I used the resist technique with other script stamps around the skull image.  I also grabbed Tim's Splatter stencil and Batground stencil to use with Alcohol Ink blending solution. Love that effect.


Several Idea-ology Halloween embellishments (some new and some from previous seasons) were added to round out the entire tag. 



Oops ... I almost forgot to telly you about my background.  My paint patina background has a whole kitchen sink of colors:  Ripe Persimmon, Blueprint Sketch, Lucky Clover, Rusty Hinge, Broken China and Antique Bronze Distress Paint, as well as Candied Apple, Walnut Stain, Broken China and Ground Espresso Distress Ink.  As with Tim's tag, the paint patina was carried over to my Alpha Parts "Spooky".  Since my background a was a little dark, I added some Ripe Persimmon Distress Paint around the edges of my "Spooky" embellishment to make it pop a little more. 


This was so fun!  Since the official first day of fall was this past week, I'm feeling in the Halloween mood.  The temperatures were in the 80's (degrees F) that day and way too warm.  I'm looking forward to cooler fall days ahead.  I hope you are finding something to inspire you to get your hands inky!    Hugs to you all -- Mary Elizabeth

22 comments:

Brenda Brown said...

Brilliant Mary Elizabeth, you have really captured the amazing remix look this month and I adore your Halloween theme. The skull and crossbones over the eye socket is very spooky. Xxx

Barbara said...

Genius! love your spooky tag! Wonderful use of this technique! The details are amazing as always my dear friend! Barbara

klistersøster said...

Wonderful Halloween tag you've made it is really spooky and thank you for your reference to the Gentleman Crafters video. Hugs

sarascloset said...

Mary Elizabeth, this is a very clever and creative take on Tim's September tag! I love your skull and cross bones there and the colors on your background look fabulous! Your resist techniques are exceptional! I hope you are chosen as one of the lucky winners--I certainly choose you as the winner this month! Hugs!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

WOW oh WOW!!! This is probably my new favorite of the tags! LOVE LOVE LOVE both backgrounds...the colors and the image came out perfectly! The skull in the eye is eye candy! LOVE it all! You totally nailed this!

MakaArt said...

Really wonderful tag! Great job! ;-)

A Pink said...

absolutely fantastic! Mary Elizabeth .Love everything about it . A sure fire winner imho . LOVE LOVE LOVE ! and so great to see Tim pinned it too . Well worthy !
Hugs x

Words and Pictures said...

Brilliantly dark and spooky - this is a fabulous take on the September inspiration!
Alison x

Unknown said...

Stunning creepy tag!! Your details are amazing!!

Jenny Marples said...

I love your version Mary Elizabeth. Huge congratulations on your win! xx

Paper Profusion said...

Woohoo! No wonder you're a winner!! Congrats Mary Elizabeth. Nicola x

Redanne said...

Completely thrilled that you won with this brilliant tag Mary Elizabeth! xxx

A Pink said...

So thrilled to see your fabulous tag on Tims winners list, Mary Elizabeth . One of my absolute faves for this month xx

Beulah Bee said...

Congrats--this was my most favorite of the month!

sarascloset said...

Mwah and hugs! I'm so happy to see your awesome tag was chosen as a winner! How could it NOT win???! Thrilled for you, Mary Elizabeth!

sarascloset said...

Oh, dear, I'm not sure if I commented or not....senior moment! It said something like Mwah and hugs! I'm so happy to see your wonderful tag chosen as a winner! I'm thrilled for you, Mary Elizabeth!

Cathy - CMP Designs said...

Congratulations on your win!! Your tag is freaking amazing!! So creepy and cool at the same time!

Lagene said...

Great tag, congrats on your win at TH!

LaVon Hall said...

Spooky...INDEED! Also fantastic! Tim could not have picked a more deserving winner this month. Bravo!

www.hokiecoyote.com said...

One of my favorites. I absolutely love all of your detail. I can't wait to see what you do for October...I think you inspired Tim. Congrats!

Mylissa Stout said...

Mary Elizabeth....WOW...I love you tag...very nicely done...
I love EVERYTHING about it...So creative... I almost forgot...Congrats on your win....XOXO

Anonymous said...

Very COOL tag! Congrats on your win too. Karen.x